Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Crochet Top

 Hello Readers. I had one more crochet blanket that I wanted to use to make something to wear. Could I make a simple sweater? I thought I could so I gave it a go. 

I did it. Before and after.

This blanket was in good shape and I loved the 70's colors. It had a lot of openness in the design. That made me a little concerned that it would be hard to sew together. Would it fray like crazy?

I used a sweater that I already had to get an idea of the shape I wanted to cut out. I thought it would fray and I was right. I cut out this shape and quickly got it to the sewing machine.

I couldn't just sew the side seams together because there were to many open spaces in the weave. I used bias tape to "wrap" the edges of cut yarn. I put the cut edges in between the 2 layers of the bias tape. I used a wide zigzag stitch to hold all these layers together. When the side seams were done I cut out a head hole and finished it with bias tape as well. 

Full disclosure- This was such a difficult project. The sewing machine did not like sewing this at all. It was so uneven that my sewing machine could handle it. The thread broke over and over and the needle broke several times too. I love the colors so much though I am glad I did it but I am glad it's over. And I don't think I will do a project like this again. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

***Year End Update- This blanket to sweater was so fun and I love the warm fall colors.








No comments: