Friday, December 9, 2022

Dressember #3- The Vest Dress

Hello Readers. I am trying to wear dresses (Or ties.) all month to raise money for Dressember and awareness about their work to fight human trafficking and forced labor. Fashion in general has serious problems with it's labor practices. The Dressember organization has taught me more about the problem. Go to Dressember.org to learn more about this global issue.

This black dress was simple and classic and the vest really appealed to me. I really wanted the vest by itself. I wasn't sure what the skirt would look like by itself, but I was curious.

Before and after and after.

I thought I could remove the vest easily and it would be really a great men's wear style layering piece.

I found the connection between the skirt and the vest and knew I could unpick those stitches and pull them apart. 

This is what the vest looked like inside when the skirt was taken out  I needed to put the vest back together. 

The vest had an inner layer/lining. I tucked that layer into what I am going to call the waistband. I just had to figure out how to make it look nice and neat. 

Here is a look at what I came up with. It seemed like the easiest way was using iron-on tape and ironing the vest lining into place.

I liked the vest by itself so much. The pink tie was perfect for Dressember.

The skirt was so well put together that it came out of the vest in great shape. It just needed a little finishing up at the waist.

I turned the edge under and stitched it down with my sewing machine and I did a little hand sewing and made sure the clasp was secure. 

This skirt was a fabulous classic midi length and I was so happy I was able to save it. I liked it just as much as the vest. I think these 2 separate pieces will be more useful and wearable on their own. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- I like both of these pieces. If I grow the vest won't fit anymore. The skirt has plenty of room though. Clothes are weird.










No comments: