Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Dressember #6- The Velvet Cape Dress

 Hello Readers. I am refashioning dresses all month in honor of Dressember. I try to advocate for this organization every year to help raise awareness and raise money to fight human trafficking and assist survivors. 78% of the organizations in the Dressember network employ survivors. This kind of thoughtful planning gives survivors hope for the future. Go to dressember.org to learn more.

Have you ever gotten something from Amazon that you didn't order? I received this black velvet cape along with the item I actually ordered. (Amazon did not want it back so I kept it.) I wasn't sure what to do with it. It seemed very Halloween-ish.

 
Before and after. 
 
It would be perfect for a Halloween costume, what could it be now, in this month of wearing and refashioning dresses? It was too light weight for a coat or jacket.The fabric was kind of cheap quality, what could it be used for?

I grabbed this book with multiple patterns. I knew there was a dress in here that would work. Even if the fabric isn't great quality it would be great fabric to use to test out a pattern before using expensive fabric.

This is a simple one piece pattern that I could fit on this velvet piece. It's a quick and easy sew project.
 
I didn't even need to used the upper part of the cape. I can save it for another project.
 
The pattern called for bias tape as the straps and to finish the cut edges around the top of the dress.
 
I stitched the gold bias tape onto the dress with my sewing machine. 
 
I really liked how the pattern turned out. The knit fabric was a good choice but better quality fabric would make a nicer dress but this did work out well enough. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- There is more to come from this cape in January 2023.
 
 

 

 

 

 
 
 









No comments: