Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Dressember #8- Mother of the Bride

 Hello Readers. I got this this "mother-of-the-bride" dress as a hand-me-down and I loved the sage green color. It was so pretty. But it was very long on me and the jacket just made me look older. I decided to take the jacket away and see if I could make the dress look less matronly. 

Before and after.

This dress fit well when I tried it on, it was just way too long. Even the highest of high heels couldn't fix this. I needed to give this dress a whole new hem. That meant I could choose the length I liked best. 

I used my dress form to make sure I was cutting the skirt even all around. This dress had a lining so I actually had to cut and hem 2 skirts. I used a yard stick to make sure the skirt was the same distance from the floor all the way around the dress form. I cut the lining 2 inches shorter than the outer skirt.

The lining was easy to hem. I just cut it and used my serger on that cut edge to control fraying.

Here is actual footage of my serger at work. It's not that exciting.
 
The outer layer of the dress got a traditional hem. I turned it under twice and stitched it down. I tried to make the smallest little hem possible. This material was very slippery and it was hard to control. It turned out well overall.

A shorter length was all this dress needed to fit better, look better and it took no time at all. I could still wear the jacket if I wanted but I have a plan for that. We will get to that in 2023. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
*Year End Note From Chickie- I think this will be simple and timeless.





No comments: