Monday, December 19, 2022

Easy Fabric Ornaments

 Hello Readers. It is Christmas time and that might mean decorating a tree with ornaments. I had an idea to make ornaments using fabric and small embroidery hoops. I thought this would be a great way to save a piece of fabric or scrap from a sentimental sewing project. 

These ornaments were quick and easy to put together. They also gave me a way to use these little embroidery pieces.
 
 I got my embroidery pieces from a failed sewing project but you could use almost anything. Scraps from a wedding or christening gown. A piece of a favorite baby blanket. The character from a t-shirt your child loved but outgrew. Anything you like.
 
When you place the piece of fabric between the 2 pieces of the embroidery hoop and tighten the screw on top the fabric will be very secure and will not come out unless you loosen the screw. There will be a lot of excess fabric sticking out in the back though.
 
You can use scissors to trim that excess off. Cut as close the the embroidery hoop as you can to remove as much excess as possible. 

The back of my ornament looked OK but if you want to hide the back of your fabric you can glue on a piece of felt. Felt doesn't fray so it will be great as a backing.

Trace around the embroidery hoop so you can cut out a circle that is exactly the right size for your hoop. .
Grab some fabric or craft glue to attach your felt circle.

Put glue on the back, all the way around the hoop. 

Press the felt in place so it really gets adhered to the hoop. I let my ornaments dry over night.

The felt gives the ornament a very clean look in the back but you can skip this step if you don't think it is necessary for your ornament. 

When I bought my little wooden hoops I saw this brightly colored plastic hoop. 

I thought this would be a fun kid project. I let my son put an ornament together using basically the same method. He liked this Santa fabric scrap. He was able to put the fabric in and cut off the excess. I made sure the screw was tightened and would keep the fabric in place for him before he started cutting.

This ornament turned out cute and he was very happy with it. 

I hope you can make an ornament using this idea and I wish you very Happy Holidays.
*Year End Note From Chickie- These are still on the tree and I will pack them away after the holiday season is over.












No comments: