Thursday, October 20, 2022

Upcycling an Old Coatrack

 Hello Readers. Storage for clothing and accessories is always an issue. Not every apartment or house has a lot of closet space. I like to sew and I need a place for my makes, and for some thrift store finds as well. When I saw this old wooden coat rack on the side of the road I thought it had great potential. Not for coats but for purses. 

Before and after.

This coat rack had seen better days. It was banged up, a little scratched, and it was missing a hook. It was free and I am a scavenger at heart so I took it home. 

I waited for a dry day and went outside to clean the coat rack up. It was a little dusty. I washed it with soap and water and let it dry thoroughly. 

I wanted to prime the coat rack and this is the primer that I had on hand. It was made to spray up at a ceiling but it worked fine for this project too. 

I started spraying my clean dry coat rack with the primer. I am not a professional painter. I just started spraying and tried to get a light coat all over the rack. The can ran out so I let it dry over night.

I found this can of spray primer at the store and decided to try again with a full can. I filled in the spots I missed and made sure the rack was fully covered. I let that coat dry over night. I liked the flat white so I didn't add any more paint to the rack.
 
When the rack was dry I was able to deal with the missing hooks. I did not have any matching replacement hooks. I decided to go with a very simple idea. Nails. I could nail in nails where ever I wanted. A 2 inch nail could hold up an empty purse easily. And I could just hammer them in and not have to deal with the power drill. I added a couple nails to the top of the coat rack on the side that seemed to be missing the hook.

I also added nails to the midpoint of the rack so I could hang more bags from the rack. 

I really liked the flat white of the rack with the purses. And I liked being able to see them all. It is really handy storage. And it was easy to freshen this rack up with very little money spent. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- This is more useful than I could have imagined. It is loaded with stuff. I am glad I made this.



No comments: