Friday, October 14, 2022

Replacing the Back of a Vest

 Hello Readers. It's cool enough to start wearing more layers. It makes getting dressed more fun. The possibilities are endless. I found this amazing suede vest at a clothes swap and thought I could refresh it by replacing the old worn back. 

Before and after.

This suede vest was so fun and the suede was in great condition. 

The back was old and felt a little brittle. The back of this vest was not attractive at all. It had to go.

I removed the back by unpicking the seams.

I took the back off at the shoulders too. I picked out all the stitches and seperated the back from the front.

I used the old back as a pattern. I cut around it and left 1/2 inch seam allowance all the way around.

I cut out 2 new back pieces at the same time. I put the 2 back pieces together with the right sides facing each other. I used my serger to connect them along the bottom, the neck and the arm holes. Then I flipped it right sides out and ironed it. (And I threw away the old back.)
 
I explain how I connected the back and the suede pieces here.
 
I tried to center the blue flower on this back piece. This was a scrap of fabric I had available in my stash. I also thought it would help keep the suede vest from looking too western cowboy-ish.
 
The vest turned out great. It had a really fresh new look and feel to it that I really liked. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- I wear this to work and I still love the peacock on the back. If I gain weight it's going to be too tight so I hope I can hold back on the cookies.
 

 

 









No comments: