Wednesday, November 4, 2020

The Fall Dress to Skirt

Hello Readers. I am writing this on election night. I have no idea what will happen tonight or tomorrow. I think 99% of America is anxious. I would think the rest of the world is wondering why the U.S. seems so unstable and if we have lost our minds in 2020. I guess you could say I am a little worried.           So... let's sew for a bit.

Fall is a beautiful season. The changing colors on all the trees is amazing. This fall dress was not beautiful or amazing. I appreciate the fall theme. I guess they tried. But the appliques were just not for me. I don't want stalks of wheat on any of my clothes. The dress is frumpy and long on me as well. What could be done?  

 I decided to make this wrap skirt that I have been thinking about for quite a while. A wrap skirt is great because it can adjust to your body as you gain or drop weight. I have gained during this year so a wrap skirt will be comfortable.

I used the pattern to cut out pieces for the waist tie. I used the bottom of the dress to make my skirt. I could not think of a use for the appliqued top of the dress.


I folded the long narrow pieces and made a very long waistband that could tie the skirt on my body. The pattern looked a bit like an apron. I followed that idea and made something similar.


The pattern called for the skirt to be tied in the front. That put the opening in the back. I preferred the opening in the front and the tie in the back.

The skirt turned out just as nice as I thought it would. I wish I could wrap up this election as easily. Get it? Wrap up the election, wrap skirt. Ha ha ha! (Bad pun, sorry.)

 Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

4 comments:

jenny_o said...

That is so cute! I love the bow being in the back.
Maybe the top of the dress could be used with some other scraps to make a braided dog toy :D
I never know what to do with dated materials. Some things just don't improve with time, even with lots of time - ha

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Jenny! The bow is my favorite part too. The top piece would make a good toy for the dog. He just got into the trash so maybe he needs a new toy.
Chickie

Anonymous said...

You might be able to cut straight down the sides of the bodice, sew them and the the bottom together and make a small shopping bag. Love the skirt.
SKH

I Can Work With That said...

Hello SKH,
Thanks for the comment! That shopping bag idea is a great idea.
Chickie