Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Sweater to Cardigan

 Hello Readers. I found this Jaws t-shirt in a bag of hand-me-downs. I think it was intended for my son but it didn't fit him yet.  (Thanks to WB and BB!) Do you remember the original Jaws movie? I have never seen the whole thing. I scare easy and I can't handle scary movies well. I have terrible nightmares about whatever was in the movie.

I have had this sweater for a long time and I love gray. This sweater has gotten a little tight (Thanks Corona!) I wanted to make it more comfortable and I wanted to show off the Jaws shirt.

I cut the sweater right up the middle. I used the design of the sweater as a guide to make my cut straight.

I was going to have to do something about that raw cut edge. The sweater will fray for sure. My solution was to fold some gray ribbon in half and use it as bias tape.

I stitched the ribbon on to cover the cut edge. The ribbon covers the outside and the inside. The sweater can't fray if it is sewn inside the folded ribbon.

I added some white trim for fun. Why not jazz it up? You could add even more trim and get really wild with it if you want.

I realized that the sweater would hang open so I added some additional lace to the inside as well.

So, back to Jaws. I cut the neckband off the shirt to open up the neck and shoulders of the shirt and make it more comfortable. I trimmed off the little uneven bits.

I wore this fun combo to get my hair cut for the first time in a long time but you can't see it in this picture.

Here is a before and after of the hair. It was pretty scraggly and the ends were fried. I got the same messy layers I always get. I was very happy with the fresh cut. (Thanks Misty!)

This sweater will be nice to throw on over a t-shirt or something dressier. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
 

2 comments:

KD said...

I think cardigans are a lot more useful than pullover sweaters, especially for days when I am in and out a lot. As you mentioned, a cardigan can dress up a simple outfit of slacks and top, yet still look okay with t-shirts and jeans. I especially like the grosgrain trim for the front opening. Nice job,and good reminder about cardigan versatility!

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks for the comment KD. I usually get hot and cold depending on where I am during the day. And by afternoon it can feel almost hot. I can take the cardigan off and put it on easily without messing up my hair and now my mask.
Chickie