Wednesday, February 5, 2020

The Red Ribbon Sweater

Hello Readers. It is finally February! Did January seem 17 week long or is it just me? February always makes me think of Valentine's Day so I decided to make a date night outfit in case I get taken out to dinner or something. (If my husband needs a hint, I like Chinese food and dark chocolate.)

I started with this pink sweater. I used the lace from the back in a refashion last November and the sweater was just sitting waiting for some love and attention. The sweater was pretty simple in front and had a deep open V in the back.

I wanted to find a way to make this sweater wear-able and I surfed all over Pinterest to find an idea. I saw some sweaters with ribbon accents and I decided to try that. I had this dark red ribbon in a stash of sewing notions and trim that my sweet mother-in-law gave me. I only had a little so that determined what I did with the ribbon.

I used some pins and then stitched the ribbon in place on the inside of the sweater.

What would I wear with the sweater? I found these wonderful dark red corduroy pants at a clothes swap and fell in love with the color and the sheen the fabric had. I have short scrawny chicken legs and these long pants looked horrendous on me. But they matched that ribbon perfectly. 

I did my basic resizing technique of taking fabric off the sides of the pants. It worked pretty well. I made them into skinny jeans. The fabric had a lot of stretch to it and it was easy to make them fit.

Sometimes when I remove fabric from the out side of a pair of jeans or pants the back pockets can get shifted into a weird placement on my backside. I took the pockets off the back with my seam ripper and re-positioned them into a more central location.

I reattached the pockets and I was ready to go. 

I am ready for a casual dinner date with my Valentine. He is coughing and feverish at the moment so I am hoping he is better by the 14th. I am also really hoping he doesn't spread his germs to me and our kids. I will keep hoping for the best.

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

No comments: