Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Lengthen Your Shorts

 Hello Readers. It's is summertime and that means shorts. At least for me. It is really hot and humid where I live and I need to try and stay cool. What can you do if your favorite shorts are a bit short? Maybe they would be better if they were just a bit longer. We can fix that.

Let's lengthen these shorts!

These shorts are fine but they feel like they might have gotten shorter when I ashed them. They are a little short for me. I wanted to make them a bit longer. 

I unpicked the stitches at the hemline of the shorts. This was where I am going to find some extra length. The hem was folded under twice so, I didn't know exactly how much fabric was inside this folded up hem but I knew there was some fabric in the hem that I could use. 
 
I let all the fabric out and ironed it to make it straight and flat. This will help me really see how much fabric I have to work with. 

The edge was fraying so I needed to address that. I used my serger along the edge to control that fraying. Sewing with a zigzag stitch along the edge would also control this fraying. Once the fraying was under control, I could make a new neat hem. 

I turned the new hem under once and sewed the new hem in place. The edge is visible on the inside but it won't fray because I surged the edge. 

Here is the new longer shorts. The shorts are a little longer now. This will give me a little more leg coverage. 

Here is a close up of the new hemline. You can see the old hem marks above it. The old hem marks will get less noticeable over time and in the wash.

This was a quick sewing project and did not change the original look of the shorts, I just changed the length. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.





 



No comments: