Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Tea Towel Top

 Hello Readers. I decided to make a top from a cute little tea towel I found at a thrift store. It had a pretty design on it and I wanted to see how it would turn out as a top. Let's do an experiment. 

 Before and after.

 These little mushrooms were so pretty. Could this be a cute top? Let's see. 

I was inspired by these tops made by Selina Sanders. I really liked these tops made from handkerchiefs. Let's see if I could make something this fun. 

I cut the towel in half. I wanted some mushrooms in front and in back. 

I also had these lacey place mats. I was going to use to fill in as needed. 

I sewed the piece of towel to a piece of place mat. 
 
 This is the front of my top. I added 2 tucks at the top so it would fit better around the bust line.
 
I had a front piece and a back piece. I needed a bit more to make the sides. I used a second place mat for that. 

I connected the side pieces to the front and back panels.

I had this ribbon belt from an old dress. I cut it into 4 pieces for the shoulder straps.

I attached the shoulder straps to the top with my sewing machine. 

I liked it so far but I didn't love it yet. It needed an elastic waist to make it less boxy and shapeless. 

The elastic made the waist look more defined. I liked that better. 
 
I liked the top and went with a light blue theme for this outfit. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.












No comments: