Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Simplify Shirt & Shorten Sleeves

 Hello Readers.When I find linen items at the thrift store I try to get them because I love the way linen feels. It breathes and feels cool in the heat. We have hit the hot summer weather where I live. I am in a "heat dome". That means we are baking around here. Let's refashion some linen.

Before and after.

This was a nice white shirt but it had these 2 front panels that didn't serve a purpose. I don't know why they are there. They are not a pocket. They just kind of hang there and they flap around when I walk. I didn't like them at all. They seem to add bulk to my stomach which is weird to me. I like to eat cookies so I can add bulk to my stomach all on my own. The sleeves were also too long on me. I would need to fix that too. 
 
I cut the flaps off with sharp sewing scissors. They just didn't work for me. 
 
The flaps were gone! 
 
I cut as close to the seam as I could. I trimmed the bits and pieces. To make it look as neat as possible. It would fray a little in the wash. I needed to do something to keep it looking nice.
 
I had this lace (Similar.) in my stash of sewing stuff. It would work well and look cute.
 
I stitched the lace over the cut parts. 
 
The lace covers where I cut the shirt. And sewing the lace on top of the shirt like this will prevent any fraying.
 
I cut the sleeves to a shorter length. It is summer. It is hot. Let's go with short sleeves. I cut the sleeves much shorter. 

I turned the cut edge under twice and sewed the end down. This made a nice neat sleeve.
 
Everything turned out really well, I was really happy. And then...
 
I got mustard on my brand new shirt. That's life. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
 

 



 



No comments: