Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Wrap Top to Tie Front Top

 Hello Readers. This faux wrap top was a hand-me-down. (Thanks C.M.) I liked the denim color but I thought it would be fun and easy to change this top into a more trendy tie front top.

Before and after.

This top was cute and it had a little string waist tie. That would come in handy later. When I looked at it I saw an easy refashion. I could open the front and use the waist tie to make the ties to close the front. 
 
I used a seam ripper to open all the seams and stitches that held the wrap front together. This took a little while but it wasn't difficult.
 
When the front was open I could see the front pieces were wider than I needed. I wanted the 2 sides to meet in front but not overlap. 
 
I folded the 2 sides under and ironed them to get a straight edge. I cut off the excess.
 
I used my serger to finish the new edges. This will prevent fraying. Using a zigzag stitch on a sewing machine would work as well. 
 
Now it was time to use that waist tie. 
 
I wanted 4 bow ties on the front of my shirt so I needed 8 equal sized sting pieces. I cut them all as equal as I could. But honestly I just used my eyes, not a ruler or yard stick. 
 
Now... I did use a ruler or a yard stick rather. I wanted the 4 ties to be evenly set in place down the front of my shirt. I measured with my yard stick to make sure they would be evenly placed. I marked where I wanted each tie in chalk.
 
I used my sewing machine to sew the edges of the front panels closed and attach the ties at the same time. 
 
I tied knots in the end of each string. This would prevent fraying and look good. 

I liked the new shirt. The ties are a fun way to close the top and it had a built in peplum. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments: