Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Resize a Buttondown Shirt

 Hello Readers. I like thrifting but sometimes the clothes I like don't fit. I started sewing about 30 years ago so I could alter my own clothes and make them fit. This post is an example of an easy alteration that anyone could do.

Before and after.

I found this sweater and this shirt at different thrift stores but they went together so well. Pink is perfect for spring, and the sweater is perfect for a chilly spring day. The problem is that the shirt was so big, it made lumps under the sweater. I wanted to wear the shirt under the sweater so I would need to alter the shirt. 

I used the sweater as a guide for sizing the sweater. 

I also measured to make sure I cut off the same amount of fabric from each side. 

The shirt was very oversized but the sleeves were smaller. I cut off the excess fabric from each side but I didn't change the sleeves. 

I put the new side seams together. 

This shirt is now more my size. I could wear it alone or ...

I can wear it under my matching sweater like I wanted in the first place. New side seams were fast and easy to sew. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.








No comments: