Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Mock Turtleneck to 1/2 Zip

 Hello Readers. I found this sweater while thrifting and of course I brought it home. But I did not realize the neck was SO tight. It really had to be changed. I couldn't stand it. 

 Before and after.

I just couldn't take it. I was being attacked. The neckline was going to strangle me. 

I needed to open up that neckline. I thought I could put in a short zipper and it would be much more comfortable with the neck open. 

I cut the sweater and used the zipper as a guide for my cut. 

To attach the zipper I needed to sew it to the sweater right side to right side.

I sewed both sides of the zipper to the sweater like this. 

I turned the zipper under and stitched over it again. This is where thing went wrong. 

It was a mess inside. I couldn't wear this in public. There were loose threads all over. It felt securly attached but it was a hot mess. (It isn't that surprising, Sweaters are not really meant to be sewn with sewing machines. I decided to cover the inside with this bias tape. I folded the ends of the bias tape under so no cut edges of the bias tape showed.

I sewed the piece of bias tape to the sweater along the edges. I sewed the bias tape but made sure that the stitches didn't go through the front sweater. The sweater was thick enough to sew without sewing through the front. 

I wanted to reinforce the bottom of the zipper. The zigzag stitches looked messy here too. I folded up and stitched a little piece of bias tape to cover these stitches as well. 
 
I actually really liked the added color to the neckline. It turned out great. And considering what it looked like before I was really happy. The lesson? When you mes-up, try to hide it. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
 









No comments: