Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Making A New Ironing Board Cover

 Hello Readers. I sew often and that means I need to iron quite a bit. My ironing board was in terrible shape but it wasn't difficult to make a new cover.Read on and I will show you.

A fresh new cover might make ironing less of a chore.

This poor sad ironing board. I love to sew but I am clumsy and forgetful. I have burned and scorched my ironing board so many times. It looks awful. Let's make a new prettier cover.

I found a piece of cotton fabric that was strong and sturdy and that was a little bigger than my ironing board. I removed the burnt fabric cover from my ironing board and used it as a pattern. There was padding under the original cover. I left the padding on the ironing board alone because it was not burned. I only want to replace the fabric cover on top of the padding
 
I cut around my original cover and added an inch in size all the way around. This will give me a little extra for the seam allowance. My ironing board is smaller than the norm. If you have a standard size ironing board (It stands on the floor with it's own legs.) add 2 inches to the circumference when you cut out your new cover. The following steps will be the same no matter what size ironing board you have..
 
I grabbed some 1/4 inch elastic. I need to sew this elastic all around the edge of the new cover. 
 
As I sewed the elastic to the cover, I pulled it gently but firmly. I wanted the elastic to be stretched as I stitched along. I used a zigzag stitch to sew the fabric and the elastic together.
 
I turned the edge of the fabric over the elastic. I pulled the elastic it stretched and when it is let go it shrinks back as you can see here. This will make the edges of the new cover curl under and grip all around the ironing board. (Sort of like a shower cap.)
 
After I sewed the elastic all around the edges it looked like this. You can see the outer edge has the elastic all around and it is curling under all by itself. Those edges will curl under the edge of the ironing board and hold on to it.
 
 It was ready to go back on the ironing board. I put the new cover back on the ironing board, on top of the padding. 

I pulled the elasticized edges under the ironing board. The elastic edges curled under and that is what will keep the cover in place.
 
My new cover fit really well. The seam allowance gave me enough extra fabric to stitch the elastic in and wrap the edges of the new cover around and under the edges of the ironing board.
My ironing board might look a little weird to you. 

My ironing board hangs off the back of the door to save a little space in my sewing room. It Is basically the same as any other ironing board but it saves me some floor space. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
 
 



 
 

 

 

 

 

 




No comments: