Friday, September 2, 2022

Using Avocados For Dye

 Hello Readers. It is avocados all week. I have heard and read that you can use avocado skins and pits for cloth dye. I was very curious. It's an all natural way to dye cloth. How cool. How environmental. How cheap if you are eating avocados anyway. I thought if I tried it that I could tell you all about it. 

  Avocados anyone?

 I had this pale pink linen shirt that I loved. It got some spots on it from the laundry. I washed in hot water and they did not come out. Would avocados cover the spots?

I had been saving the skins and pits of avocados for a few months. I kept them in the freezer until I had enough to cook up a batch of dye. I threw them into the pot with enough water to cover the shirt and give it room to move around. Was I supposed to scrap the skins clean? Was I supposed to filter it somehow? Google did not mention any of that. Was the left over avocado going to cause problems? (Spoiler-Yes.And yes.)
 
This was a literal hot mess. I tried to keep going and just keep stirring. It just did not look good at this point.
 
Umm... that did nothing good!
 
I decided to turn to a trusted old friend. Rit dye in a dark color might be what I needed to cover the marks and save this shirt. I put the dye in my washer as directed and ran it through one wash cycle on hot. 

Look at this! I have a new purple shirt. The avocados did not work for me. I like avocados and all but I don't think I will try this again. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- The avocado dye was a disaster. Do not recommend my method, it was a mess.

 

 

 

No comments: