Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Making a Raglan Shirt-Chelsea Pattern

 Hello Readers. I used the Chelsea pattern from FabricStore.com recently to make a rash guard for swimming and avoiding the sun. It worked so well, I used it again for a fun Captain Marvel shirt. It is a great simple and FREE pattern. Let me show you what I made.

Before and after.

Someone nice passed this shirt down to me. It is a men's shirt and I loved the graphic. Captain Marvel as a Funko Pop bobble head! My youngest thought it looked like me so I went with it and made the shirt my own.
(And say hello to Gordon. He is a 3 year old Dachshund mix that my daughter got from a local rescue. He is very cute, has anxiety issues and loves snacks. He visits me when he needs dog sitting.)
 
I found the Chelsea pattern online. You can download it and print it for free from FabricStore.com. It is a simple raglan sleeve top. I found the sizing very accurate for me. 
 
I cut out the sleeves from the pattern as they directed. For the body of the shirt I did something else. I used the pattern to cut the front and back at the same time. I didn't want to cut 2 pieces and sew them together because they were already together at the shoulders I left the binding around the neck hole in place to make this project even easier.
 (Gordon wanted to nap on the shirt pieces and I said no. Sad doggie face.)
 
I got the blue sleeves from this knit sweat shirt dress. I cut the sleeves from the bottom of the dress so the hem of the dress would be the binding on the end of my sleeves. That saved a lot of time too. 
 
I connected the pieces using my serger. This shirt went together in no time. 
 
This is actually my second Captain Marvel shirt. I made one into a tank top a while back and now I have a second shirt for cooler weather. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- I wore this shirt a lot. It was great for me. It gets worn often.
 

 

 

 

 
 


2 comments:

jenny_o said...

Wow - that looks great! Raglan sleeves are a good way to fit people like me with narrow shoulders and bigger hips. Regular tops that fit at the bottom are too large in the shoulders. A free pattern is a plus!

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Jenny,
I love them for the easy fit too. I had no idea there were so many free patterns out there. It has been fun trying some of them.
Chickie