Friday, September 23, 2022

Removing a Cowl Neck From a Sweater

 Hello Readers.September feels like back-to-school season to me. It's not really true because in my area kids go back to school in August. I have been doing a lot of skirt refashions this month because when I was a kid having nice skirts for school was a thing. I don't think it's as important anymore but it is stuck in my brain. So... skirts for September it is. 

Before and after.
 
 I started with this cowl neck sweater. I cut the neck off this sweater in my last post so that I could make a tube top out of it. It worked great under a low cut dress. But what about the rest of the sweater?


 
I had a plan to fix the neck of the sweater and I explain it here. When I cut the cowl neck off I left about 1/4 inch of neck fabric.

I used a zigzag stitch to sew the new round neck line. I tucked the leftover neck fabric into the sweater and stitched it down. It was super easy. I would have been done at this point but the sweater was a little looser fitting than I wanted. I wanted it to fit like a t-shirt. 

I decided to take some fabric out of the back to make the sweater more fitted. I cut some fabric out and made a new seam down the center back. 

 
This plaid skirt was not very flattering. I loved the plaid fabric. I thought shorter would be better for me because I am pretty short.

I used a skirt that I knew fit well and used it as a guide for cutting my plaid skirt. I cut that excess off, turned the edge under twice and stitched it with a straight stitch all around the skirt. It was a very basic new hem. 

I also took a little fabric out of the waist. I stitched new side seams on each side and then cut off the extra fabric. Sewing the sides like this makes the waist a little smaller. Doing this on each side makes the skirt balanced and the new sewing blends in with the old side seams easily. I zigzag stitched at an angle to meet the existing side seam.

My new outfit was done. 

These pieces are really classic and I think I can wear them a lot. 

Here is a look at that new back seam I made in the sweater. It turned out great too. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- I could wear this to an office but I don't work in an office setting. I liked this combo but actually weather sweater with other clothes more than I wear this skirt. I am going to get this skirt out and wear it. It worked so well as an outfit.










2 comments:

KD said...

Very nice! Plaid skirts and dark sweaters look so cozy in fall. I also remember planning and sewing my fall wardrobe for school in late August.

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks for the comment KD! Back-to-school fashion was such a huge thing. And now here we are sewing and loving it.
Chickie