Friday, September 30, 2022

Imitation Chanel

 Hello Readers. When I found a Chanel style suit I feel in love instantly. Did it fit? No. But it was at a clothes swap and no one else wanted it. I thought it was amazing and it came home with me. I do not have any Chanel and I can not fit it into my budget so this was a very exciting find.

 Before and after

 
This suit was fabulous. The skirt almost fit but the jacket was really big in the shoulders on me.

I didn't think I could fix the shoulders. I decided to refashion the jacket into a vest. I had an old pattern to guide me in cutting the pieces. I wanted something to make sure I didn't mess this up. Using a pattern gave me a little more confidence. I cut the pieces from the lower portion of the jacket. I did not use the padded shoulders or sleeves at all. I positioned the pattern on top of the jacket so that I could keep the pockets and front button in place on my new vest.

Here is a look at the vest. I stitched it together with my sewing machine.

Here is a look at the back of the vest.

I wanted the frayed edges Chanel sometimes does on their suits. I stitched around the edges of my vest with a very small tight stitch. I wanted the fraying edges but I had to control the fraying or my whole suit would fray away. I wanted about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of fraying. 

I started the tedious process of pulling the threads on the edge. I did this all around the edges of the vest.

Y'all... it took quite a while!

I marked the skirt. It had a back zipper so I wanted to take the sides of the skirt in to improve the fit. 
 
I cut the skirt shorter. I wanted to cut off the kick pleats and make the new hem right above that point.
 
I used my serger to finish the hem of the lining.
 
The fraying edges were going to be at the hem of the skirt too.
 
 This new shorter length was better for me.

This new suit is so fun. I think this is my new favorite refashion.

I loved that the pockets were on the vest. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- I love this outfit SO much. One of my top favorites from the year!!



 











 





No comments: