Friday, September 9, 2022

Make a Skirt Bigger

 Hello Readers. I am always trying to save my small pieces of fabric for later in the hopes that eventually I will find a way to use them. I hate to waste fabric. Today's post is about using some of the pieces of clothes that I have cut up for refashions. Like what could I do with the legs of some old pants? Let's see...

 
Before and after.
 
 
This skirt was cute and I liked the shape but it was way too small. I saved it forever because I like corduroy. These white striped pants were a hand-me-down that I made into some nice summer shorts. I saved the pant legs because I liked the material. I thought they would be a good match because the striped pants had some tan color in them.
 
This skirt was too small so I knew I would need to add fabric to make it larger. I cut the side seams open on the skirt. It had a zipper in the center back to get the skirt on and off. I did not need to do anything to the zipper. These pant legs were going to fit in the sides and make this skirt a bit bigger for me. They will also add a little pop of color.

I had to cut off some of the pant leg to make them the same length as the skirt. I cut off the tops of the pant legs because I wanted to keep that hem at the bottom of the pant legs in place. That will save me time later.

I used my serger to finish the edges and then I used my sewing machine to stitch the edges under so my skirt would look nicely finished.

I used my dress form to make sure I was getting a good fit around the waist. neither of these fabrics had any stretch so I needed to get the waist correct. I also wanted to see how the fabrics looked together.

When all the pieces were ready I needed a lot of pins to hold all 4 pieces together for sewing. So. Many. Pins.

Finally, it was time to sew it all together. I used a straight stitch with matching tan thread to connect all the pieces.

I found this linen jacket/shirt/shacket at a clothes swap and I love the monochromatic look here. 

This outfit seemed perfect for this weird time of year when we think it should be fall but it is literally 92 degrees outside. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- I liked this skirt a lot. I am getting it out as soon as it warms up a little. It was a good combo of fabrics for me.







No comments: