Friday, August 26, 2022

A Questionable Corset Top

 Hello Readers. I sometimes try a project that doesn't really work out well. That's OK. Failure is how we learn. I really wanted to make something spectacular with this floral silk fabric. And I really tried. Read on to learn my mistakes and how I fixed them.

I made a corset top.

I wanted to make a top to go with the skirt I told you about last time. I had enough of the floral decorator weight fabric to cut out small pieces for a corset top. I was very limited with the floral fabric and the corset top was not going to need much fabric. I was going to use the solid yellow silk as a lining. Can you make a corset from decorator fabric that your mother-in-law gave you?? I had high hopes.

I used this pattern by Mood fabrics. They make really nice patterns and give clear directions with pictures to help the sewist along.

I cut out all my pattern pieces. This was easy and I was really doing well. 

I cut out all the same pieces again to make the lining from the solid yellow fabric. 

I put all the pieces together like a puzzle. It all seemed to be working.

I put the lining together with the outer layer. It looked great so far.

I had to attach the grommets to the back so I could lace the top closed. I just beat those things with a hammer and it was loads of fun.

I used a hammer. It was easy!

I tried out different size lacing materials and found a nice small one. The yellow bias tape did not work here.

This is the moment that it all started to fall apart for me. There was a lot of gaping at the top. I was very worried but I thought if I just laced it very tight it would not gape like that when I put it on my body. 

I had my husband lace it as tight as he could. It was very uncomfortable. There was less gaping but it did not feel good. And I didn't know what else to do. Was I wearing it wrong?

I put something over it for coverage. It still showed more cleavage than I was comfortable with. Like a lot more. I had to set the top aside because it was time to go to a concert. I wore a different shirt that night. But I wasn't going to give up.

I decided to add some straps. That would hopefully do 2 things. If it had straps I wouldn't need to pull the tie in the back so tight to keep it on. It would be a lot more comfortable if it was not so tight. And secondly the straps would hold the top against my chest so there would be less cleavage. I used this bias tape because it was all I had on hand that matched. I think it worked. But the concert is over and I am home watching Hulu so...this is going in the closet for now.
Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- I love this fabric and I am glad I made the top. Everything is a learning opportunity. It stays on much better with the shoulder straps. Maybe I am just not the right body type for going strapless. It is sort of like a built in bra and I never like how bras fit either. It is probably just me.






4 comments:

Annastasia said...

Try lacing the corset from the middle rather than the top or bottom.

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks so much for the tip. I appreciate the help,
Chickie

jenny_o said...

As I was reading, I was thinking about suggesting elastic through the top casing (if that seam was wide enough to be considered casing) but you came up with a solution that I like better! I hope you get another chance to wear it. I love that fabric. I think I said that on the last post but it bears repeating :)

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Jenny!
Elastic is a good idea. I will remember that if I ever try to make another top like this.
Chickie