Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Yellow Silk

 Hello Readers. If you have been reading along this month you may have noticed all the yellow. Yellow seems like a happy color and I really wanted to try and be cheerful. I don't know if all the yellow is cheering anyone up, but it can't hurt. When I decided to focus on yellow I started looking around my stash of sewing stuff for yellow things. I found this yellow silk that my mother-in-law passed on to me and was determined to make something out of it.

Before and after.

I had 2 pieces of yellow silk. I really loved the floral print. I just did not have that much of it. It was very thick because it is actually a decorator fabric. It should probably be a seat cushion somewhere, but not today. Today it is going to be fun clothing. I had more of the plain yellow fabric. It had a pretty sheen and would be a good buddy fabric, if I needed it. 
 
 The floral fabric was a long narrow rectangle. It was going to be impossible to make anything big out of it. I knew it was a great piece to make a wrap skirt. Wrap skirts are usually just long narrow rectangles, so I was half-way done already. I went through this book and got out the wrap skirt pattern. This is not an ad. I just like this book of basic simple patterns.

You can see the fabric and the paper pattern here. They are both rectangles and they are already similar in size. This should be easy. The pattern shows where all the tucks need to go to make the waist fit well. All of those little triangles are important.

This is a view of the skirt. You can see a couple of the tucks I made at the waist. I followed the pattern directions and hemmed all the cut edges. But that waist needs a closure. (We all need closure don't we?)

I was running out of fabric. I almost made a waist tie from the plain yellow silk but then I saw this bias tape. It matched really well to the skirt and it was a lot easier since it was already made. 

I sewed the bias tape around the waistband and left some extra to tie it closed. The bias tape is great because it covers the waistband inside and out all in one step. 

 
Here is the finished skirt. It was thick enough that it didn't need any lining underneath. 


I added a little magnetic snap inside the skirt to keep the skirt layers in place inside the skirt. I sewed it on by hand.

This skirt was perfect for a charity concert in Washington D.C. You can see the Washington and Lincoln Monuments behind me.
 
 The concert was performed by the Ukrainian Freedom Orchestra. It was beautiful and supported refugees from the war in Ukraine.

My daughter took me. It was great.
 
 We did some snacking and tailgating in the parking garage before we went into the concert. Thanks for reading along, there will be more yellow silk next time. Now, go make something fun for yourself.
*Year End Note From Chickie- I love this silk skirt. I need to go somewhere so I can wear this again. I also still pack snacks when I go out.














2 comments:

jenny_o said...

I love that fabric and your finished skirt - lovely! The video made me chuckle :)

I bet the concert was wonderful, and for such a good cause.

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Jenny!
Thanks for the comment. I loved the skirt too. It was perfect for the fabric piece I had.
And I am all about snacking. :)
Chickie