Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Dress to 2 Piece

 Hello Readers. How is August treating you? It is so hot and so humid right now. Wearing dresses is much more comfortable than wearing shorts and pants to me. I wanted to update this floral dress a little and make it a 2 piece outfit.

Before and after.

This dress was pretty. It was cotton and the flowers were perfect for summer. The length was not right on me at all. I was too short for this dress. It was too long on me. It needed some adjustments. 

I cut the dress into 2 pieces. I cut under the waist seam and left a little bit of fabric so I can turn it under and stitch it down.
 

 I used my serger around the cut edge at the bottom of my new shirt (Gray thread.) and then turned it inside so I could stitch it in place.
 
  I stitched it down with a straight stitch. You can see it along the bottom edge of my new top.

I had a plan for the waistband. Here is a quick overview of what I was going to do.

The next step was to make the waistband look nice and neatly finished. 

To get a smooth waistband I pulled the elastic very gently and made it smooth while I was sewing. When I let it go it will gather back together on its own. This keeps it stretchy enough to pull on and off.

My 2 piece dress was finished. I liked how it turned out. I used the bottom of the dress for this skirt and it made a nice A-line shape.

The elastic waistband looks nicely gathered and it was easy to make. 

It was great for a little dinner out. Happy Anniversary to us. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.
*Year End Note From Chickie- This was so much more flattering a s a 2 piece outfit. It will be back in summer for sure.












No comments: