Friday, June 24, 2022

A lot of Giraffe

 Hello Readers. I hope you are well. I am enjoying summer but trying to stay cool in the heat. This post is about another animal print of course. This shirt was my mom's. She loved giraffes. LOVED giraffes. I couldn't get rid of her giraffe things when she passed away so I am trying to incorporate them into my closet, house and keep little pieces of her with me. 

 
Before and after. 
 
This shirt is a LLR special. The diagonal giraffes are wild as wild can be. I love the green background though. The skirt is a light weight brown denim that almost fits at the waist but is too long for me. Maybe I can tailor the shirt and skirt so that both of these items fit and flatter. 

I think this shirt was designed to be long and full to cover your bum when you wore it with the LLR leggings. It felt too long and too full cut so I made it into a basic traditional style t-shirt. T-shirts are timeless for a reason. You can't go wrong with timeless shapes.This fabric is wild enough on it's own, it will do well as a simple t-shirt.

I tried the skirt on and marked it with chalk. It just needed a little taken in so it would fit. I usually try clothes on inside out and mark them when to get the size right.

This skirt had a nice A-line shape and I wanted to keep that A shape but I had to take it in a bit. Here is how I worked through that. 

I finally broke down and got a rotary cutter and a cutting mat. It is so much easier than always using scissors. I cut the skirt a bit shorter, about 6 inches. 
 
 I hemmed the skirt using 2 steps. I used a zigzag stitch all the way around the skirt, right on top of the cut edge. The zigzag will control the fraying. I turned the edge under and stitched it down with my sewing machine. You can see both stitches in this picture.

My new outfit was so much fun. The classic shape of the t-shirt and the classic shape of the A-line skirt are always in style and the giraffes get to be the focus of the whole outfit. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- This wild giraffe print is fun and reminds me of my mom. I will love it always.


No comments: