Friday, May 20, 2022

Denim Days-Capris

 Hello Readers. It is getting hot and sunny and cropped jeans are perfect, a really high waist would be even better. I didn't have any jeans like that. I did have these tan Capri style denim jeans. Let's refashion!

Before and after. 

I wanted to change the look of these tan Capri's and I had a fun idea for the sweater too. Let's start with the jeans first. 

I have been wanting some more brown in my wardrobe so I got a bottle of brown Rit dye. (Not an ad. They do not know me.) I put the denim jeans and the dye in my washing machine. There are very detailed drections on the bottle. I always follow them.

The color came out great. I took a little out of the waist to make them fit a little better. I also took the stitches out at the cuffs. The jeans were rolled up and stitched down. I wanted them a little longer so unrolling the cuffs gave me more length. Instead of Capri length I had more of a cropped pants length.

This was a very simple refashion. The tan jeans were now changed into cropped brown jeans. But what about the sweater?

 
The sweater was such a loose knit that it was a little see-through. I had an idea to fix that though. 
 
Here is a view of the inside of the sweater. Adding this ribbon filled in the holes and it was a fun way to add some color to the sweater. 
 
I used a zigzag stitch to secure the ends of the ribbon to the side seams of the sweater.
 
I liked how the ribbon looked. It was easy to weave in and out of the sweater. It only took about 10 minutes. I used ribbon that I had on hand. This turned out to be a one of a kind piece. You could use ribbon in your favorite colors and customize it for yourself.
 
This outfit was a great spring/summer combo for me. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- These brown pants are cropped and I liked them in summer and into fall. I wore them a lot. I wear the sweater a lot too. The added ribbons made the sweater fun and it seemed to match so much with the extra colors in it.
 

 

 








2 comments:

KD said...

I love dark brown and white for summer. I used to think of brown as a fall color, when paired with tans, yellows, oranges, reds. Pairing with white makes it look cool and crisp. For summer wear, I look for lightweight brown fabric, because dark colors will absorb heat in the sun, and lightweight fabrics will release that heat more easily. Early fall days have become warmer over the last 30-40 years, and lightweight brown garments are useful for the summer-to-fall transition.

I Can Work With That said...

Hi KD,
I have a pair of brown sandals and when I pulled them out for summer I started to wonder if I needed some more brown in my wardrobe. I can wear them to work when it is hot. And I think these pants will be great for summer to fall, like you said. It stays warm here until October so I'm sure they will get a lot of wear until then.
Happy sewing to you!
Chickie