Friday, May 6, 2022

Denim Days-Overalls

Hello Readers. I am working with denim all month. Today was a fun project. Do you like overalls? I have been wanting a pair of overalls for a while and decided to make some for myself. 

Before and after.

These jeans had elastic in the back of the waist. They were a little too big but I realized that would work perfectly for overalls. Overalls are usually loose and that was what I wanted.

I actually had a second pair of these exact jeans that I refashioned last year into paper bag style waist shorts. I had saved the lower legs from those pants/shorts. I am glad I did because I used the legs as the front and back bibs of my new overalls. The denim matched perfectly. I turned the old cut off pant legs inside out, stitched the ankles closed and turned them right side out again. Those were my front and back bib pieces.

I also had the legs from a denim jumpsuit that I refashioned into a romper and I decide to use these legs to make shoulder straps. (I am trying to use all the scraps I have been saving.) I cut out my 4 shoulder straps. They were just 4 long strips with 2 sides. I cut them from the sides of these pant legs and stitched them closed while they were inside out. Then I turned them right side out to hide all the stitching.

 This video walks you through all the separate pieces I had to work with.

I connected the 4 straps to the bibs at the corners.

I connected the bibs at the center front and back. 

I sewed the bibs onto the pants by putting the right sides together and stitching on the inside. I attached the straps to the bibs in the same way.

These overalls are so comfortable and fun. I liked the shoulder straps. The bows added a feminine touch. 
 

I was perfectly dressed for a day at the beach. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- These were a great refashion. They are comfortable, I can eat all the cookies without these getting too tight. And I love the bows at the shoulders.

 

2 comments:

A.C. said...

Hi,
I enjoy receiving your posts so I can see how you solve clothing problems.
But the last three times, only about half or less of the post comes in the email. I go to the website and see the rest of it. Maybe your computer guy can figure this one out. It's not my computer, I have oodles of free subscriptions to plant-based websites and this never happens.

Looking forward to seeing the full posts soon ! Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day !

Nina from Southern California

I Can Work With That said...

Hello AC,
Thanks for writing in. I have had several tech issues and glitches. I hope we are all straightened out now. Let me know if you have more difficulty.
Thanks,
Chickie