Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Cherry Blossom Jeans

 Hello Readers. It is springtime. In my part of the world we lose our minds over the cherry blossoms in Washington DC. The trees were a gift from Japan and everyone loves them. There is a festival and a parade. The dates of peak bloom are announced in the news so people can plan to go see them. There are a lot of fun activities and it really is beautiful.

Before and after. 


In honor of those pretty blossoms, I made some jeans.

I grabbed some black acrylic paint and a thin brush and started painting branches on the sides of these jeans. I painted with a heavy hand. The paint will not wash out. It is permanent but it will fade a little. I want the black to be dark and visible after many washes. I let the black paint dry thoroughly. 

When the black paint was dry I started painting pink spots along the black branches. This does not have to be perfect. I even let my youngest help me. I just loaded the brush with paint and tapped it on the jeans. I did not let this dark pink paint dry.

I added some lighter pink paint onto the dark pink spots. I liked how the 2 colors blended in with each other a little. This also does not need to be perfect, orderly, neat or uniform. Just make some splotches on the jeans. It's fun. Don't over think it. 

Here is a look at my very low budget paint holder. I put the dark pink paint in this cup so my son could paint with me and then I added white paint to make a lighter shade of pink that I used second. You can use any pink acrylic paint you have or like. The paint I have is a mix of inexpensive paints from the craft store. 

If you look closely at the picture of the blossoms they have a dark pink center so I added a dot of magenta to the center of my spots. I wasn't trying to create really accurate paintings of blossoms. I am going for more of an impressionist style. 

You can see these blossoms are all different and imperfect, just like all the people that go see the blossoms. I love it that way.

I love the pop of pink. It's so fun, cheerful and perfect for spring. I made some jeans almost just like this about 4-5 years ago but they got too tight. It's OK, now I replaced them. 
 

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- These jeans were so fun! I know skinny jeans are not supposed to be in but if these are wrong, I don't want to be right.





 


2 comments:

jenny_o said...

They are lovely! And it's so nice your little guy could help. I remember making flowers similar to this on a ceramic dish many (very many) years ago. It was surprising how well the freestyle painting turned out. Just as yours did!

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Jenny!
Thanks for the comment. I had fun with it. Painting dishes sounds fun too. I will have to try that.
Chickie