Friday, April 29, 2022

Maternity Shirt Refashion

 Hello Readers. If you have had a baby you know how those maternity clothes cost a lot and then become useless. I had a couple ideas for a couple maternity shirts.

Before and after.

This shirt is so pretty but the shape just makes me look pregnant. It is a maternity top after all. Any empire waist makes me look like I am working on baby #4. (I am close to 50 y'all. I am not having another baby.) I didn't like that but I liked the fabric a lot. There was elastic with the drawstring under the bust and that elastic gave me an idea to make a skirt.

I cut the bodice off the shirt. I kept a little extra fabric above the waistband when I cut it.
 
 I used my serger to finish the cut edge above the elastic and keep it from fraying. The rainbow thread doesn't match but it's OK, it will be hidden.
 
  I tucked it in and under and stitched it down. 

I tucked the edge under and pilled the elastic gently as I stitched along. That will keep the edge neat and the elastic will keep its stretch. 

This shirt made a fun skirt. It was casual, comfortable and easy to wear. The elastic in the waistband so it is easy on and off. 
 
I also had this top in white. I featured it in my last post about cutting a jumpsuit in half. I didn't really refashion this white top. I did not really need to. I just needed to wear this white top in a different way to make it look more flattering. The bustier top made a different shape so this white top looks less like maternity.
Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- I loved this purple color. It was a nice light weight skirt for warm weather. I used the top of the purple skirt in a refashion in September.
 




 


No comments: