Friday, April 8, 2022

Too Tight Floral Dress

Hello Readers. Some of my clothes have gotten too tight. That's OK. It happens. And there is always a way to work with the clothes you have and make them usable.  

Before and after. 

I really liked this dress. It was a fake wrap dress. The knit fabric was pretty and had some stretch to make it comfortable. It was just a little (Or a lot!) too tight in the chest. I decided to save the bottom and wear it as just a skirt. 

When I opened the dress I could see the seam that connected the top of the dress to the bottom. I cut the top of the dress off. I cut just above that seam. I kept the seam attached to the bottom of the skirt. That seam will keep the stretchy fabric from stretching out of shape.

Here is the new skirt from the front. In the upper right corner you can see the tie for the wrap skirt is still attached. That will be important later. I will need to use that tie to tie the wrap part of the skirt closed. 

I used a zigzag stitch to keep that seam tucked into the skirt. This fabric won't fray. (Most knits don't fray.) I just wanted to tuck the seam around the waist in and under and stitch it down. I used a zigzag stitch so it will have a little give and stretch to it just like the knit fabric has give and stretch to it. 

Here is a close up look at the waist of the skirt. The tie still wraps around the waist and gives it that wrap look.

You and I know it is fake but the world will think it is a real wrap skirt.

This floral skirt will be great for spring.

Even in the wind, I will stay covered. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- I loved this skirt and I gave it to my daughter because I love her too.



4 comments:

jenny_o said...

Cute! I love faux wraps; they take away the worry of accidental exposure but still have the nice details of a wrap.

KD said...

I like the look of wrap skirts but don't want the risk of wardrobe malfunctions. This is a great solution! Thanks!

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Jenny, I have had an accidental flashing moment in a wrap skirt and I hope it never happens again. It was at a church too. The faux wrap is much safer. hahaha
Chickie

I Can Work With That said...

Hi KD, Thanks for the comment. It look like we are all thinking the same. No one wants to be a flasher. It always seems like the wind picks up when you have a wrap skirt on. Stay safe, go faux!
Chickie