Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Little Blue Dress

 Hello Readers. Sometimes clothes just do not fit. That was the story with this dress. The top was too small and the bottom only fit because it was so full cut and had an elastic waistband. I really liked this material so I wanted to save it some how.

 
Before and after.

This blue dress was so pretty. The fabric was just so cheerful and spring-ready. It was just too tight around the chest. I could get rid of it or I could make it work for me. You know what I did.

 
I cut the top of the dress off. I just cut it. I left about 1/2 an inch That is important. I will need that 1/2 inch.

Here is the cut off top. And you can see the bottom half of the dress and the extra 1/2 inch of fabric above the elastic waistband. That waistband is really handy. It is what is going to let me make this into a skirt in just minutes. 

   I used my serger on that cut edge above the waistband. (You could also use a zigzag stitch on your sewing machine for this step.) It won't show when I am all done with the skirt but I don't want the fabric to fray on the inside my new skirt. 

Once the skirt has a finished edge instead of a raw cut edge I can move on to the next step. 
 
 The next step is to turn that serged (Or zigzag.) edge in and under and stitch it down . This makes a nice looking waistband. I used a straight stitch and stretched the elastic as I sewed. 
 
It looks like a simple A-line skirt. Perfect.
 
This skirt had so many colors in in and I loved that. It matched almost any top in my closet. Thanks for reading along now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- This floral skirt had all the colors you can imagine in it. It was easy to wear too. It is put away for next spring.


6 comments:

MoosReused said...

I'm such a visual learner. That last step of turning in and adding the elastic has me bamboozled...don't suppose you have video of doing it??

A.C. said...

I love that print as well ! But, not with the screaming green or the dull brown though. It would look great with a blue or something in the pinkish rose colors.

I love getting your makeovers in my email. I usually love what you do and it inspires me to take a second look at my things.

I hate buying new clothes at regular stores. Such a high price for what I can find in a thrift store. I shop the thrift store sales and have more clothes than I need.

Happy Spring !
Nina from Southern California

I Can Work With That said...

Hi MoosReused. Thanks for the comment/question. I didn't add elastic. The dress had an elastic waistband already in it. I cut the dress off above the waistband and the closed up that cut edge and tucked it in. I used my serger to finish the edge so it wouldn't fray. Then I tucked it in and stitched it down so it would stay hidden.
It was easier to do than it was to describe. I hope that helps.
Chickie

I Can Work With That said...

Hello AC,
I honestly wasn't crazy about the green and brown in the pictures either. The looked a lot better in person than they did in photos. I think I should have gone with denim or white. (I didn't have anything in pink.)
I think I need some more shirts. :)
Chickie

KD said...

That fabric is beautiful! Pairing the skirt with a washed denim blue jacket or top would look great, IMHO! Not too dressy, not too casual!

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks KD! I loved that blue fabric too.
Chickie