Wednesday, March 9, 2022

The Tight Turtleneck

 Hello Readers. I am going to refashion all green pieces in March because it is going to be St. Patrick's Day this month. I am Irish so I am into it. I thought it would be a fun sewing challenge for myself. I had also collected a lot of green pieces in my stash so this is a good way to make sure I get some "new" green clothes for myself.

Before and after. 

This turtleneck was so small it was difficult to pull over my head. It was so tight it wiped all my make-up off. I don't like turtlenecks that much anyway. I knew this one would have to go.

I cut the turtle neck off. I left about 1/4 of an inch of fabric. This is important. I need the extra so I could sew it down later. 

I found a small hole in the sleeve and I thought short sleeves would be great for spring so...

I cut the sleeves into a short sleeve length. I made sure the hole was cut off when I cut the sleeves.

I also cut the wrist bands off and saved them for later. I will use them to finish the sleeves.

I got some matching thread and stitched the neck band down. I tucked that 1/4 of an inch of extra fabric under and into the sweater. I stitched on the outside of the neckline and from the outside it looks like a round shaped neckline was always there.

I used the wristbands at the ends of my new short sleeves. I put the right sides together and used a zigzag stitch to stitch the edges together. The sewing will be hidden inside. The zigzag stitch means the sleeves would have some give and stretch. That will make them more comfortable to wear. 

My new short sleeved NON-turtleneck sweater was ready to go. It could be worn anytime but it also works for St. Patrick's Day. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- This sweater is still a favorite even after a year. It worked for Christmas too.


2 comments:

jenny_o said...

I don't care for turtlenecks either; they are very strangling :) #shortneckproblems This is a very useful fix and I love the length of the sleeves.

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks! I really liked the sleeve length too.
Chickie