Friday, December 3, 2021

Orange You Glad Part 2; Dressember#2

Hello Readers. It is December already! We have made it to the last month of 2021. We should give ourselves a round of applause. It felt like time went super fast and we need to get ready for real winter weather. Let's make this orange dress from the last post more winter appropriate. 

Before and after.

 
This dress fit well and I added buttons and a big sweater to take it into fall in my last post. How could I make it more winter ready? I did not have any dye. I made a plan in the beginning of the year that I would not buy anything to create my refashions this year so what could I use as a dye?

That's right. I wanted to see if balsamic vinegar could dye my dress. I knew that vinegar can help set dye so maybe it could be a dye all by itself. It could be a disaster but let's find out.

 I took my dress outside and just "sprinkled" the dark vinegar all over the dress. I let it sit over night. Then I flipped it over and did the same thing to the back of the dress. I wanted to give it time for the vinegar to sink it the material. It really smelled strongly of vinegar. I washed it in cold water. 

It did dye the dress but it was a very subtle wash of color and it made darker spots here and there. I liked it but it wasn't as dark as I had hoped it would be. 
 
The color was great for a more wintery look. A sweater and boots will take you far in the colder days. I will be refashioning dresses all this month as part of Dressember. This organization works to fight human trafficking and forced labor all around the world by raising money and partnering with other organizations in this fight as well.




No comments: