Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Denim on Denim

 Hello Readers. This refashion was so much fun to put together. Sometimes when I know the look is going to be very casual, I have less worry about the outcome. I had a clear idea in my head for this one.

Before and after.

 
This dress started off as a very frumpy depressing kind of dress. It was too long and the faded flowers were just a little blah. I love flowers as much as the next person but these were not doing anything exciting for this dress.

 
I started by cutting off about 8 inches of dress at the hem. It was going to be shorter anyway so I might as well get it out of the way at the start.
 
The flowers around the neck line were going to be difficult to unpick stitch by stitch. I decided to just cut them off. This cut edge was going to fray like all denim does so I decided to embrace it. I would let it fray and let the hem of the dress fray and it would be casual and fun.
 
 
The flowers on this dress just didn't stop. They were climbing all over these pockets like poison ivy. I was going to remove the whole pocket but then I realized that the big pockets from men's jeans could cover them easily.  I just used my sewing machine and stitched the new pockets over the old pockets. They are still there but no one will know.

If you don't want to sew the pockets on, I recommend some iron on hem tape. It is easy to use and quick too.
 
  My fun denim dress was done and I love the big dark blue pockets. I can fit my phone in one pocket and your phone in the other! I can layer for winter and just wear the dress with a t-shirt in warm weather. It's the perfect dress. 

I know I talk about the Dressember organization every December.  They raise money to fight human trafficking and forced labor all around the world. Victims need medical care, emotional support and even legal assistance. You can learn more at my Dressember page.


No comments: