Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Easy Fixes

Hello Readers. It is so hot and humid outside. I hate the heat and humidity. Is it because I lived in Florida when I was young? And always got sunburned? Maybe. The point is, it is still summer so I am going to make and wear shorts because it is still summer where I am.. 

I have to make shorts because these Capri pants are killing me! It is just the worst look I could wear. They were hand-me-downs, which I love, (Thanks Sue C.!) but this length just cuts my legs off visually. This is not a good style for me.

  I cut the Capri pants into shorts. I tried them on and marked the length I wanted, but I made a mistake. OOPS! I didn't leave any excess to turn the edges under and stitch them down. Oh, no!! If I made a traditional hem these shorts would be really short. What could I do?

It's OK. I had an idea to fix my mistake. I used bias tape from my drawer of sewing "stuff"
to cover the edges. It would look nicely finished but it would not make the shorts any shorter. 

 The bias tape makes the hem of the shorts look sporty and fun. It was also an easy fix.

I took the waist in a bit and my shorts were done. I finished the inside seams with my serger but a zigzag stitch would work too.


 The white pockets were making the shorts seem a little see through. Beige underwear did not fix this problem because the pockets were so white. (Please note-This is NOT my bum!)

I have found white boy shorts style underwear fix this problem for white shorts or pants. 

I liked this loose sleeveless top my daughter gave me but it was a little too low in the arm holes and in the V-neck. I knew I could fix this with a simple adjustment at the shoulders.

 I used the existing shoulder seams as a guide and made new seams to make the shirt shorter. I just sewed about an inch away from the seam. That made the arm holes and the V-neck higher and less revealing. 

My new outfit was all set and it was perfect for the hot weather in my part of the world. I live out in the rural suburbs. The shirt was great for the hot day and because I fixed the shoulders, the armholes do not reveal half my bra. And the V-neck is not revealing all the bits and pieces I want to cover.

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I liked these a lot and will be getting them out in summer.

No comments: