Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Fall Floral Dress

 Hello Readers. When I saw this dress at a swap I loved the colors. It also seemed perfect for the early days of fall. That mustard yellow seems perfect for fall to me. This time of year is a transitional time from summer to fall. I want fall but it is still so hot, I am trying to transition my mind and my clothes to the new season.

 The dress was a good size for me but the shape was just not great. It didn't really have a shape. It did have this big keyhole opening at the neckline that was really too low for me. I wanted a new shape and completely covered cleavage. Is that too much to ask? I don't think so.


 I decided to make that new shape I wanted. I would make a more defined waist and keep the full skirt. I cut the dress across the waist, where I thought the waist should be. Basically I made a cropped shirt. I cut it at an angle so the waist was a bit smaller than the chest. I sewed the newly cut sides back together.


I put the shirt and the skirt together with the right sides facing each other. 


I connected the top and bottom of the dress back together. I stretched the top while I was sewing so that the skirt was evenly gathered around the waist. 


I liked the new shape I got from the dress. 

 
What would I do about that annoying keyhole? I needed to fill it in because it was too low on me. I could not just pull it together and sew it closed because it would make the top too tight.
 
 
 But I had those little scraps from earlier. I was hoping the wild pattern would make this little patch blend in.


The final result was much less revealing. The pattern is so wild that the keyhole isn't that noticeable. My new dress had a waist and all the cleavage was put away. That was just what I wanted.


I know florals are not really for fall but this mustard yellow is fabulous to me. And it matches my favorite sweater.

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

***Chickie's Year End Review-This dress was so cute. Why didn't I wear it again???


5 comments:

Unknown said...

when small changes make a big improvement! I think the mustard color suits you.

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks for the kind comment.
Chickie

KD said...

Blue and gold look like fall to me! I usually find mustard with green or brown or orange, but the blue really sets it off. The waist-cut shaping trick works great. I'll remember that for my next sack dress.

jenny_o said...

Florals are not for Fall - what?? Say it isn't so! I love florals any time of year and wear them with impunity :D

This is absolutely lovely, and having a sweater to match the mustard colour gives this outfit a long life during the new season. Enjoy!

I Can Work With That said...

Thank you for the comments. That yellow really said fall to me.
I am so ready for fall to come!
Chickie