Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Wide Shoulders

 Hello Readers. Sometimes things are not what you think they are. This shirt for example. I thought it was a dress until I put it on. It was a weird length.I am SUPER short and this was really short on me.

 
 
 It was too long for a shirt and too short for a dress. I wasn't sure what was going on here. Was it made to wear with leggings? I still do not know the answer. The fabric was amazing. It was soft and thick. This shirt was heavier than your average t-shirt but not as heavy as a sweatshirt. I knew it could be fabulous as soon as my daughter gave it to me.
 

I knew I wanted to make this shirt shorter. I started cutting the bottom of the shirt. My first step was to cut the bottom into a point.
 

The next thing I did was to cut the back of the shirt straight across. I only wanted that point in front. Then I cut that front point in 2. It seems like a lot of cutting but the fabric is knit and will not fray. 


The next step was to tie those 2 pieces in front into a knot. It makes a nice shape and adds a lot of interest to the shirt. 
 

We could stop there but I have been wanting to try an idea that was shared online from @blueprintdiy on Instagram. She refashioned a white t-shirt with wide shoulders but did not use any shoulder pads. It looked really cool. I cut the bottom of the sleeves off at an angle. It looks a little messy but its going to be OK.


 The next thing I did was tuck the whole sleeve into the shirt. This made the shoulder 2 layers thick. The 2 layers make the shoulder a little stiffer and it stands out a little. 


This was the shape I got. It was a fun shoulder detail but it wasn't a huge padded shoulder from the 1980's. It was more of a hybrid cap-sleeve.


I wanted the sleeve to stay inside the shirt while I was wearing it so I stitched the sleeve to the shoulder. I did this by stitching along the seam that was on the shoulder. Sewing in the seam means you couldn't see my stitches. 
 

 I just followed the seam at the top of the shoulder.
 

I also stitched around the new opening of the armhole. I thought it would look nicely finished. When I was done, I cut away the excess fabric inside the sleeve.


I was done sewing and it was time to go to work. I like to tuck-in the knot on the front of the t-shirt. It is an easy way to get that half tuck to stay in place.
 

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I love this color and this shirt was a fun project. It was great for work too.

No comments: