Friday, May 13, 2016

Repairing a Damaged T

Hello Readers. My project today was an effort to save a shirt I was really attached to. It isn't anything special but it is one of my favorites. Why? I guess because it matched everything and it is stretchy and comfortable. Do you have a favorite T-shirt?


Here is the problem. The bottom got ripped and I had to remove the bottom 3-4 inches. Now it was a bit too short and it looks pretty rough. I needed to add some length and clean it up.


I decided to attach some wide 3 inch lace to the bottom of it. It would be longer, cover the rough edges, and it will look more finished. I chose lace in the same color family but not an exact match. I put the right side of the lace and the right side of the shirt together and stitched along the edges and  then attached the ends.


Here is the new bottom of the shirt. I had just enough to go all the way around the bottom of the shirt. It still matches everything and it's still comfortable. Now, it's a bit fancier and more unique.


Thanks for reading, now go make something fancy and unique for yourself.

6 comments:

Amy Jo said...

I love lace! I never thought to check Amazon for lace, though. Nice tip and great shirt save!

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks Amy Jo. I was amazed by all the options.

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks Amy Jo. I was amazed by all the options.

jenny_o said...

Ooh, this turned out VERY well. I've been thinking of doing the same thing ever since I saw a ready-made cardigan that used the same principle, but I wasn't sure it would look okay in a t-shirt. It's a winner! And yes I have a few favourites that I love and wear to death. It's nice to be able to get some more wear from them as you've done here.

jenny_o said...

And now I've caught up. I've been reading all along but just too pressed for time to comment. It's nice to have time this evening to remedy that. Thanks for sharing all your ideas with us. I find your sewing to be a nice balance of practical and unique.

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks Jenny-o. I have trouble keeping up with all I want to read too. And thanks for all the comments. It is encouraging. Happy sewing to you.