Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Crazy 80's Dress

Hello Readers. I found this gem of a dress and thought it was a flashback to the 80's. Are you old enough to remember the 80's? Big hair, shoulder pads and no seat belts in the car, that's what I remember most. This dress has the shoulder pads I remember from the 80's. Why did we all want to look like line-backers?


Here is a before picture of this dress. It is really a busy design. The blue areas look like a bright impressionist painting of flowers. At least sort of. It was a very heavy acrylic material. It's probably highly flammable. Don't light a cigarette around me please, I could burst into flames.


It has this strange polka dot detail going on too. I guess it's to break up the crazy design. Meh.


It didn't do anything for me so I cut it off. There is just too much of this colorful fabric. The top is going to have to go. I cut off the top and left a half an inch seam allowance. I folded it down and zigzag stitched it under. The waistband is elastic and the zigzag gave me enough stretch to get it on and off. 


I wore it with blue. I like it as a skirt, It has nice pleats that are machine wash proof. (I washed it when I got it and believe me those pleats are not going anywhere.) No ironing needed. Ever.


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are amazing! I was thinking a nice set of button-on suspenders might keep a little of the nostalgic feel to it. :-)

I Can Work With That said...

haha Button-on suspenders! I will look for those.