Friday, May 27, 2016

The Porch Makeover

Hello Readers. Believe it or not, this cotton blouse is responsible for decorating my whole front porch. I know. It sounds crazy. Read on and I will tell you what happened.



I have had this blouse for ages and I don't like it because when I look at it all I can see is this, I would feel like a big fat candy cane in this blouse.


Here is what my front porch looked like all winter. It's pretty plain. 


I suddenly realized this blouse also looked like the stripes on the American flag. I had this small piece of blue flag fabric and when I realized it is almost Memorial Day, it all came together in my head.


I cut the arms and collar off the blouse.


I turned it inside out and sewed all around until I had a rectangular shape. I used the button front to open and turn the shirt right side out. It isn't a perfect rectangle and the darts of the blouse are visible. Don't worry, it won't matter.


It is going to be a pillow. I am going to stuff it for free too. Here is a look at my free pillow stuffing. Plastic bags from the grocery store. I don't do this for pillows in the house but it will be great for outdoor use.


The buttons down the center let me open the pillow and stuff it with bags and then button it back up.


Here is my finished pillow with a little bow on it. I cut a strip of fabric with  pinking shears and tied it in a bow. It is pinned on to the pillow from the inside with a safety pin. The buttons are in the back but they might be cute in the front too.


I put some of the blue flag fabric around the inside of my flower pot. It is a good liner and keeps soil from washing out the bottom when I water the daisies. I also hung up the flag that was put away in my garage.


Memorial Day is usually considered the beginning of summer. I wish you all a summer of fun where ever you are. And a big thanks to all our military past and present.


Thanks for reading, now go make something fun for yourself.







2 comments:

jenny_o said...

Back in the 90's I had a lovely dress (on the hanger) that made me look like a candy cane as well. It's the first thing I thought of when I saw your blouse here. You've done a great job using it as decor instead. Unfortunately, I live in Canada and it doesn't make a good flag for me. Maybe I could use it to make an actual stuffed candy cane next Christmas, though :)

I Can Work With That said...

I can only imagine a candy cane dress. I knew the stripes wouldn't work for everyone's national flag but maybe you will find a shirt with maple leaves on it? You never know right? haha