Friday, January 7, 2022

The Patchwork Coat

 Hello Readers. It is cold and snowy in my area. It is really feeling like winter so let's refashion a cozy wool coat. This little black and gray coat had some touches of mustard yellow that I loved. It wasn't bad in it's original form but I had another vision for it.

 
Before and after. 
 
This coat had a lot going for it. I love the different fabrics and colors. The fit wasn't great on me. The sleeves were too long. (Call me Miss Short Arms.) And that snowflake on the black side did not go with my plan. 
 
I wanted to go with a sewing theme because I like to sew and because I have had these buttons for a long time. I have never been able to find a good use for them. They are too big and heavy for a button down shirt. They needed the right jacket or coat. The colors of these buttons and this coat were made for each other.
 
I cut off the bottom of the coat. I thought a cropped length would look better on me. I am really short so shorter lengths are better. And the sleeves needed to be shorter so they got cut too. 

I made 2 pockets out of some gray wool I had on hand. I made it big enough to cover the snowflake design. The coat did not need pockets but it seemed like the easiest way to cover the snowflake.

This a view of the pocket upside down. I was stitching it onto the coat. 
 
You can see I used a zigzag stitch on the cut edges to keep the coat and its lining all together while I was working on it. I added this black trim to hide the cut edges and the zigzag stitches. 

My newest refashion is definitely a favorite. I love these buttons!

 
Sleeve close-up. Adding the trim was a fast easy way to finish the edges.
 
  
Coat close-up #1.

Collar close-up #2.


My new coat was warm because of the wool it was made out of. The new buttons and shorter length made it so much fun to wear. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- I have been wearing this coat all winter. I still love the sewing themed buttons.











2 comments:

Sue A said...

Love the coat and "especially" the buttons.

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks Sue! I appreciate the comment.
Chickie