Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Sweatshirt to Dress

 Hello Readers. I hope your January is cozy and warm. My theme this month was "Stay Cozy". This sweatshirt was cozy and soft and it made me look really pregnant. I knew I could do something with it that would not look so maternity.

 
Before and after.
 
 
This sweatshirt was super cute. Was it maternity? It sure fit like that. I am 49 years old y'all. I am not having a baby at this point. I would probably die if I tried it. I had a baby at 42. It was very difficult. Let's try for a different look.
 
 
I had a plan to make this sweatshirt into a mini dress. I was going to use this off-white shirt to help me.
 
 I cut the floral shirt because I just needed a few inches from the body of the shirt.
 
 
I cut the dress in half and wanted to put a piece of the floral shirt in the middle of the dress. The top of the dress would remain the same. 
 
There was going to be a band of floral fabric in the middle of the dress. The sweatshirt top and the floral shirt were almost the same exact size so they were easy to put together. I used my serger but a zigzag stitch would work too. I wanted to re-attach the skirt to the bottom of the floral fabric piece. This would make the dress longer and the floral fabric would add some interest. Almost like a belt.
 
 
The skirt was bigger than the floral piece. I needed to arrange the skirt so it was evenly distributed around the floral band of fabric. I used pins to hold it. I decided to fold the extra fabric down to make pleats. 
 
I folded the pleat down and pinned it where my thumb is pointing. It was easy to sew over the folded pleat when I attached the skirt to the rest of the dress.

I added an off-white shirt under my new dress for warmth and to cover my stomach a little more. The sheer floral fabric was such a cute addition to the plain sweatshirt. I love it. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 
*Year End Note From Chickie- Love this dress. It's perfect over leggings and very cozy.



2 comments:

KD said...

Really great idea! I love the cozy winter dress!

If (after adding fabric to the midriff of the dress) the dress isn't quite long enough, matching or contrasting fabric could also be added to the hem of the dress. If the original sweatshirt/top was a neutral color, the midriff fabric and the hem fabric could be two different primary colors.

This refashion idea offers a lot of possibilities. Thanks for sharing!

I Can Work With That said...

Hi KD! Thanks for the comment. I thought about adding some fabric at the hem to make it longer if it needed it. When I was done I decided I liked the mini dress length. But it is a good idea to remember.
Chickie