Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Tie-Dye Misadventures

 Hello Readers. Are you seeing tie-dye in the stores near you? It's everywhere! I wanted to try making it for myself. 

I needed some white clothes to dye so I searched around and found this white cotton skirt/dress extender that used to be a pillowcase. (Yes, a cotton knit pillowcase.) I also had this white shirt my mom handed down to me. (Thanks Mom!)

 I got them wet to prepare them for the dye. 

This was a fun project to share with my youngest. We went outside and had fun dripping and squirting dye on the clothes. I had gray and green dye on hand so that is what we used.

I let my son decide when we were done. I did this outside so I did not have to worry about the mess.

I let the dye sit for about 40 minutes. Then I put the clothes in the washer and this is when i really messed up. I was supposed to wash the dye out quickly and I accidentally put the washer on a long soak cycle. That means the clothes at in the dye water for a long time and my colors got all mixed up and muddied. I tried to be brave and keep going. I shortened the sleeves and made the shirt a shorter cropped length as well.


 The skirt can be pulled up high on my waist so even though the shirt is cut shorter, my tummy is covered. My belly button is my business.

I thought about trying to correct the dye colors a little but my son loved them. He and I can match and he is still young enough to think that is fun. I know it won't always be like that as he gets older so for now we are going to go for it. 

Thanks for reading along, Now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-My son and I both still like our dyed clothes. We had fun.

4 comments:

KD said...

It's unusual to see Mom-Little Boy coordinating outfits, but why should Moms of little girls have all the fun? Nice!

I Can Work With That said...

Exactly! Why not mom and son? I have another one coming soon.
Chickie

jenny_o said...

I like the tie-dye but I like your approach to parenting even more :)

I Can Work With That said...

Aww, thanks Jenny!
That is a sweet thing to read.
Chickie