Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Easy Wide Legged Pants

 Hello Readers. I am still working my plan to refashion for free in 2021. I am trying to challenge myself to use my stash of sewing "stuff". I also thought that 2020 was a tough year financially for a lot of people. It can be encouraging to see people be creative with what they have. So let's see what I can do with some hand-me-down pants and a big t-shirt. 

These wonderful pants came from my daughter. She got them on a trip to Italy (Pre-Covid.) Either they shrunk or she grew a little and she gave them to me. I loved the fabric and all the colors. They look like the colors in peacock feathers. I didn't like the elastic at the ankles. The pant legs were too long on me and the elastic made them bunch up on my calves. They reminded me of that old TV show "I Dream of Jeannie". (I might have been dancing in a sad middle-aged way in this picture. It wasn't pretty as you can see.)


I started by cutting off the elastic at the ankles of the pants. I didn't like them so they got cut off. I ironed the pants and realized they were actually more of a wide legged style. I liked that so much! I turned each leg under twice and used my sewing machine to stitch them in place.


But what about that shirt that I found at a swap? I loved the color but this shirt had some issues. It was big and the V-neck came down too low. It also had a small spot of paint on it. Right in the front!


I decided the best thing to do was make the front smaller. I sewed a new seam straight down the middle of the shirt. It made the shirt smaller, and it allowed me to cut out the middle where that paint spot was. I shortened it by a few inches as well. Then, I turned it around and wore it backwards. 


When it was backwards the seam I made in the shirt was in the back and didn't look out of place and the V-neck was not too low because I made it smaller. The "new" shirt looked great tucked into the "new" pants. 


The "new" shirt looked great tucked into the "new" pants.

 

This was a fun and comfy outfit. I am glad I was able to re-work them into something that worked for me. It looks like I overheard something suspicious.

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.

***Chickie's Year End Review-I thought this outfit was fun, cute and comfortable. Win! Win! Win!




2 comments:

jenny_o said...

Great idea for both the pants and shirt - and I bet those pants are cooler than slim ones in the hot weather. I'm always amazed by how much refashioning you do and how nice everything looks! I need to just get started and not fret so much about "ruining" stuff. If I can't wear the clothes the way they are, they're not much good that way either :)

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Jenny! I liked the wide legs too. I do get upset if I ruin things but if I am not wearing them anyway, I might as well try something.
Happy sewing to you!
Chickie