Friday, May 14, 2021

The So Many T-shirts Dress


 Hello Readers. I had so many t-shirts from recent hand-me-downs. I was pretty happy about it. They were the perfect material for a new great dress. 


I pulled these t-shirts out of a hand-me-down bag (Thanks Sue C.!) and liked the soft earth tones. They were all neutral and I thought they would work well together.


I started by cutting the body of each shirt off the shoulder and neckline of each shirt. I was going to connect the shirts together to make a maxi dress. 


I didn't make each piece that I cut from the shirts the same size. I wanted them to vary and not be all the same. 


 I realized I needed to be checking sizes. I wanted the smallest shirt at the top of my dress and the largest at the bottom of my dress. I arranged the shirts by size so the larger shirts would gradually make an A-line shape for my new dress. I cut the hem off the bottom of the shirts that were going to be in the middle of this dress. The hems were thicker and would not look smooth in the connections of each piece. I left the hem on the lowest yellow shirt because I wanted the hem of my dress to be nicely finished with a hem.


My dress was all connected and I liked the length. I am really short so maxi dresses are usually too long on me. I never buy them because they don't fit. Making a maxi dress for myself was the best way to go. I have a 6 year old and there are always toys and Lego blocks all over my sewing area. I usually crop them out of my pictures but let's just keep it real this time.


I wore my dress for the first time and I liked it a lot. It was just what I wanted. I thought the belt helped give it a more defined high waist.

Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. If you are following along with my $0 spending plan for 2021then this dress cost nothing. It was all made from hand-me-downs. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I loved this dress. I love the colors and it was a serious scrap buster. It was a great transition piece from summer to fall as well.

No comments: