Friday, April 30, 2021

Lovely Lilac Layers

 Hello Readers. The sun is shining and the flowers are in bloom. (Pollen is everywhere, I feel stuffy and congested.) It is spring for real. Spring is a great time to wear lovely dresses and enjoy the outdoors. (If your sinuses can take it.) I found this lovely lilac dress at a swap. (Free!) I loved the pastel color and the floral design. 


This dress fit pretty well but it was too long and too low cut. That is the story of my entire life so I knew what I needed to do. I needed to fill in the plunging neckline and I needed to shorten the skirt.


It was difficult to show in a photograph but the skirt had a shorter under layer. It came to my knees.  The outer layer was much longer and sheer. I thought it would look better on me if I shortened the outer layer to match the length of the under layer. I didn't alter or hem the under skirt.

I hemmed the raw cut edge of my new dress with a simple turned under hem. 


I made sure that the under skirt was fully covered by the outer layer.  


 What about that big sheer piece I cut off the bottom of the dress? It was a big rectangular shape but the fabric was very thin and soft. I hemmed the raw cut edge and I was done.

  

That rectangular piece made a perfect shawl. And...


The shawl was also perfect to wear around the neck and tucked into the front of the dress to provide more coverage in the front. 


 Cutting the extra fabric from the skirt of the dress solved all my problems with this dress. 

Thanks for reading along, now go make something for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I still like this but I never reached for it again so I donated this set.

2 comments:

KD said...

I love that the wrap can be used in more than 1 way: as a scarf to gather around the neck and tuck into the front, and as a shawl to wrap around the upper arms. I like having multiple ways to change the look and use of a garment.

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks for the comment. I liked the versatility of the scarf too. It will be more useful this way.
Chickie