Wednesday, April 21, 2021

A Snake Skin Jacket?

 Hello Readers. Are you into snake skin? Like shoes or belts. I have never owned any snake skin until now, and this is not really snake skin. It's just denim with a subtle snake skin print on it. Did I NEED a snake skin printed denim jacket? Probably not, but now that it is here, I will enjoy it. 

Before and after.

I found this jacket at a thrift store bag sale back in December. It was about 50 cents. (Since I bought it last year I am not counting that as money spent in 2021. My goal of spending no money on refashions in 2021 is going well so far.) I liked the subtle snake skin look of this fabric. The jacket was a little roomy, but I liked that. The sleeves were entirely too long, my short arms have caused trouble again. That's OK, I can work with this. 
 
 
If the jacket wasn't in good light it just looked black. When the light was right, you could see a lot of color variation and pattern. The weather in my area has turned chilly again so a jacket sounds like a good idea.
 
I really needed shorter sleeves so I started by removing the cuffs.

Then I cut the sleeves off at elbow length. When I reattached the cuffs, the sleeves would be 3/4 length sleeves. The shorter length would make the jacket wearable for me and my short arms. That length sleeve would also be a fun look for this jacket.

 
I was ready to reattach the cuffs. The spot where I cut the sleeves was larger in circumference than the cuffs. I had extra fabric to work with. I could have narrowed the sleeves to fit in the size of the cuffs, but I didn't. I had another idea. The extra fabric allowed me to make a small box pleat in the sleeves. 

 
My new jacket was done. I liked the loose fit. It felt more modern and it was comfortable. Some of the buttons down the front of the jacket were missing so I just popped them all off. It looked better with all the buttons removed than it did with half missing. I could replace all the buttons later if I wanted to, but I probably won't. I didn't. I had another idea. The extra fabric allowed me to make a small box pleat in the sleeves.  Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself. 

***Chickie's Year End Review-I still like this jacket. The pattern is very subtle and it just goes with almost everything. It's a great layer to throw on.

4 comments:

KD said...

A fix for better fit that created a unique garment, that looks very useful! Inspiration!

Jacqueline said...

Très bonne idée ces manches plus courtes !!

I Can Work With That said...

Thank you very much KD!

I Can Work With That said...

Merci Jacqueline!