Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Dressember Dresses; The Shirt One

 Hello Readers.Every year when I am wearing dresses and ties for Dressember I try not to let it be one more thing on my To-Do list. It can be and should be a fun way to raise awareness and funding to fight human trafficking. You can form a team to work with and keep each other motivated. My daughter and I are on a team called the D-Group. I also borrow all my ties from my husband and older son. They have to help me tie them because I can't seem to get it right. It's a whole family effort.

 My family helped with this refashion too. The blue shirt is from my husband and the plaid shirt is from my mom.

 My husband didn't want this blue shirt and it was a little worn at the collar. That was fine because I didn't need the collar.

I cut the the shirt across the chest and used the bottom of it for my dress.

This plaid shirt from my mom was the perfect coordinating top half of my new dress.

I did some pinning to connect the big men's shirt with the ladies shirt.

I did some pleating to make the 2 shirts work together.

 These 2 made a nice combination. And I was able to put it all together fairly quickly. These shirts didn't have any stretch to them so I had to leave the dress loose enough to be comfortable and allow me to move around.

Thanks for reading along, now go check out Dressember.org to learn more about their important work.

2 comments:

KD said...

I love it! One of the problems with trying to create a shirt dress from a man's shirt is that usually the shirt is too wide, but not long enough for a dress even for a short person like myself. I have tried to use the side cutoffs to reattach (rotated 90 degrees) to the dress hem for length, but once the cutoffs are trimmed to be on-grain and rectangular, there is seldom enough length to them. Your approach, to find coordinating shirts for the top and skirt, is a winner! Thanks for that idea!

I Can Work With That said...

Hi Kd,
Thanks for the comment. I have tried using one shirt too. It is hard to get enough length. I have tried using an extra tall size shirt and that was longer, but not perfect.
Happy sewing to you!
Chickie