Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Dressember Dresses; The Denim One

 Hello Readers. I am refashioning dresses this month to help raise awareness about human trafficking. Being an advocate with the Dressember organization means wearing dresses (Or ties!) It is a simple way to call attention to human trafficking, forced labor and modern slavery. Dressember gives an estimate of 40 million people in these situations worldwide. I do not know how to end this problem so I am trying to help people who do know more and are able to assist victims directly.

I tried to look beyond first impressions with this denim dress. It was sturdy, strong and well-made. It was extremely full coverage and I hated it. It was just not my style. I liked the fabric and that little touch of corduroy at the collar.


I immediately saw that the top would make a cute denim jacket. I cut the top of the dress off the skirt. My jacket was almost done already. It just needed a finished hem. I didn't want to turn the cut edge under and stitch it down. That would make it shorter than I wanted. I finished the cut edge with blue ribbon. I stitched it along the bottom edge.

Then I folded it down and stitched it to the jacket again to make it lay flat. It is a bit longer and hides the cut edge perfectly. 

Did I make a dress? Well, no. I made a jacket to wear with a dress. It's cold where I live and layers are important.


What about that skirt? I will tell you all about that one next time. Thanks for reading along, now go make something fun for yourself.



No comments: